Churchill Public School believes in playing a strong role in the local community. Through our website, monthly newsletters, radio ads, and agenda programme, we try to keep the lines of communication open with our parent community. At Churchill we strive to help our students become attentive members of the public.
Examples of what we do include:
- Holding a Fall Harvest Feast in which we serve turkey dinners to every student for Thanksgiving
- Housing a YMCA Childcare Centre
- Housing New Sudbury’s Best Start Hub
- Having an active Student Parliament that raises money for the local community including the Maison McCulloch Hospice
- Participating in Indigenous Awareness Days to help celebrate Indigenous culture
YMCA Churchill Childcare Centre
- Transitional Threes, Pre-schoolers and School Age (3 to 12 years)
- Open year round from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Lunches and snacks provided
- Open PD Days, Christmas break, March break and summer
YMCA Childcare is about the basics in life: trust, caring, learning, comfort and safety. Personal attention, a variety of experiences and a generous supply of giggles are a big part of each day.
For more information, please contact Elaine Vaillancourt at 705.688.7300 ext 2126.
Volunteers are always needed in schools, be it to help supervise on field trips, overnight trips, reading with children, assisting teachers, etc. A number of activities that we plan with our students simply cannot happen if volunteers are not found, so if you have the time, please consider volunteering at our many events. Simply let your child’s teacher know you can assist on field trips as they come up.
If you have the time to volunteer on a more consistent basis (such as helping in our library, or around the school), call the main office at 705.566.5130 and let one of our secretaries know (a police background check is needed for this type of volunteer work).
Examples of where we need volunteers include:
- Fall Harvest Feast
- Fun Fair
- Trips to Science North
- Gr. 8 Year End Trip
- Gr. 7 Year End Trip